You should have heard about these phrases – Partition, Volume, and Logical Drive. And, in case you surprise what these phrases truly imply, then this put up will aid you throw some gentle on them. We will aid you perceive the difference between Partition, Volume and Logical Drive on a Windows 11/10 laptop by explaining their meanings and different data associated to them in easy phrases.
Difference between Partition, Volume, and Logical Drive
All these phrases i.e., partition, quantity, and logical drive are knowledge storage items. But there are variations that we have now tried to cowl on this put up under. Let’s study them one after the other.
What is a Partition in a Windows laptop?
A bodily exhausting disk (say HDD) might be divided into completely different storage items and these storage items are referred to as partitions. Thus, dividing a tough disk drive into completely different components is referred to as partitions for that exact exhausting disk.
For instance, when you’ve got a 1TB exhausting disk drive, and you divide it into 4 components (say 250GB every), these components are referred to as partitions. You can create 4 major partitions or three major partitions and one prolonged partition. Here is what meaning:
- Primary partitions are these the place you possibly can set up Windows and put different knowledge. For instance, when you’ve got put in Windows 11/10 on a C drive, then the C drive is a major partition
- Extended partition works as a container that you should use to create a number of logical partitions
- Logical partitions are these the place you possibly can create folders, add your media information, and different private knowledge you need.
You can simply create new, resize, and prolong partitions on a Windows 11/10 laptop utilizing the built-in Disk Management software or some free third-party Disk and Partition Manager software program.
What is a Volume on a Windows laptop?
Unless you format a partition, a quantity (or logical quantity) can’t be created. And, till a quantity is not created, you received’t be capable of set up Windows and add your knowledge. Thus, when you format a partition for a file system (say NTFS file system for Windows), it turns into a quantity.
In different phrases, when you format a partition to create a tough drive and assign a letter (say D, E, and many others.) to that drive, it is referred to as quantity. You also can prolong, shrink, or delete a quantity.
Related: How to re-partition a tough drive on Windows with out erasing knowledge.
There are 5 logical quantity sorts that are as follows:
- Simple Volume: This sort of quantity can have single or a number of areas on a tough disk. You can create a easy quantity for all the exhausting disk or set the quantity measurement of your selection (not exceeding the overall measurement of the exhausting disk)
- Spanned Volume: In this quantity sort, the unallocated house of a number of exhausting disks is mixed or merged right into a single logical quantity. So, let’s say you may have 5GB of unallocated house on one exhausting disk and 15GB of unallocated house on one other, then you possibly can create a 20GB spanned quantity
- Striped Volume: This quantity sort is created by combining the free house obtainable on two or extra exhausting disks in a single logical quantity utilizing RAID-0 expertise. Such quantity sorts should not fault-tolerance. That means, if a disk that incorporates the strip knowledge fails, then all the striped quantity is failed
- RAID-5 Volume: Also referred to as striped with parity quantity (created with free house obtainable in three or extra exhausting disks) presents fault tolerance. If part of a tough disk fails and the information current in that portion is gone, then the identical knowledge might be re-created from the remaining knowledge
- Mirrored Volume: As the identify signifies, any such quantity shops a precise copy of the identical knowledge on two bodily disks. This is additionally a fault tolerance quantity. Even if one bodily disk fails or corrupts, the mirrored knowledge current on the second disk can be utilized by the system.
What is a Logical Drive?
A logical drive (or logical quantity) is a drive house created logically on high of a bodily exhausting disk. Once you format a partition and assign a letter to it like D, E, and many others., (as defined above), it turns into a logical drive that can be utilized to retailer information, folders, and different private knowledge. When you open File Explorer on a Windows 11/10 laptop, the logical partitions (comparable to Local Disk (D:), Local Disk (E:), and many others.) current below This PC part are examples of logical drives. So, principally, logical drive and quantity are the identical phrases.
Hope this helps.
What is the difference between a Partition and a Logical drive?
Partition (in terms of a tough disk drive) is part of a tough disk that you just create for putting in Windows OS and storing your private knowledge. There is a major partition that you should use for putting in an working system. Apart from that, there is an prolonged partition that you would be able to additional divide into a number of logical partitions for storing your knowledge (photographs, audio-video information, paperwork, and many others.). On the opposite hand, a logical drive is created once you format a partition and assign a drive letter (together with the file system) to it.
Should I take advantage of Primary or Logical partition?
Although there is no difference between major and logical partition with the intention to retailer knowledge, it is idle to create a major partition the place you possibly can set up Windows and boot your laptop. Primary partitions are primarily used for putting in an working system. On the opposite hand, logical partitions are used for storing your private knowledge.
Read subsequent: Difference between NTFS, FAT32, FAT, and exFAT File Systems.