Enterprise admins can now re-enable the MSIX ms-appinstaller protocol handler that Microsoft earlier disabled after Emotet malware was utilized by menace actors to use the characteristic to ship malicious Home windows App Installer packages. This submit describes how this protocol could be safely enabled once more.
What’s the ms-appinstaller protocol handler?
The ms-appinstaller protocol handler (AppX Installer) was launched to allow customers to seamlessly set up an utility by merely clicking a hyperlink on a web site. Mainly, this protocol handler gives a method for customers to put in Home windows functions straight from an online server utilizing an MSIX package or App Installer file with out first downloading the installers to their pc.
The ms-appinstaller protocol has been disabled
Microsoft disabled the ms-appinstaller protocol following earlier stories of ongoing Emotet attacks exploiting a zero-day Home windows AppX Installer spoofing vulnerability, forcing customers to obtain the app packages to their gadget earlier than putting in them utilizing App Installer.
Nonetheless, approaching the heels of a latest announcement, it seems Microsoft has lastly managed to resolve the problem, and IT admins can now safely re-enable the protocol. Microsoft had the next to say;
We acknowledge that this characteristic is important for a lot of enterprise organizations. We’re taking the time to conduct thorough testing to make sure that re-enabling the protocol could be executed in a safe method. We’re wanting into introducing a Group Coverage that might permit IT directors to re-enable the protocol and management utilization of it inside their organizations.
Easy methods to allow ms-appinstaller protocol in Home windows?
To allow the ms-appinstaller protocol for MSIX, you will want to obtain and set up each the newest App Installer (as of this writing, model 1.17.10751.0) app and the Desktop App Installer Coverage in your Home windows machine, then allow the characteristic through Native Group Coverage Editor. To carry out this process, do the next:
For those who’re working ms-appinstaller protocol in your web site, you possibly can replace the hyperlink to your utility by eradicating ‘ms-appinstaller:?supply=’ in order that the MSIX package deal or App Installer file could be downloaded to person’s machine.
- Download the newest App Installer (offline model).
- After the obtain, unzip the archive package deal.
- Now, run the MSIXBUNDLE File to replace to the newest model of App Installer.
- Subsequent, download the newest Desktop App Installer Coverage (ADMX Templates).
- After the obtain, extract the content material of the archive package deal after which deploy the Administrative Templates.
- Subsequent, open Native Group Coverage Editor.
- Contained in the Native Group Coverage Editor, use the left pane to navigate to the trail under:
Pc Configuration > Administrative Templates > Home windows Parts > Desktop App Installer
- On the location, on the correct pane, double-click on Enable App Installer ms-appinstaller protocol coverage to edit its properties.
- Within the coverage window, set the radio button to Enabled.
- Click on Apply > OK to avoid wasting the modifications.
- Exit Native Group Coverage Editor.
- Restart PC.
How do I set up Appinstaller on Home windows 10?
To put in Appinstaller on Home windows 11/10, do the next:
- Obtain the app package deal file to a neighborhood folder.
- Set up it utilizing the Add-AppxPackage PowerShell command.
- Subsequent, obtain the appinstaller file to a neighborhood folder in your drive.
- Set up it utilizing the Add-AppxPackage -Appinstaller PowerShell command.
What’s MSIX app?
MSIX is a Home windows app package deal format that gives a contemporary packaging expertise to all Home windows apps. The MSIX package deal format preserves the performance of present app packages and/or set up recordsdata along with enabling new, fashionable packaging and deployment options to Win32, WPF, and Home windows Types apps.
Will MSIX change MSI?
MSIX is Microsoft’s deliberate substitute for the MSI and AppX format. Beginning with Home windows 10 1809, MSIX will change AppX as a Package deal-Format fully. MSIX remains to be undoubtedly the way forward for utility packaging. Regardless of the super advantages for big organizations, enterprise adoption shall be gradual till compatibility instruments, ISV assist and satisfactory packaging tooling achieve important mass.