Several Windows customers have reported being unable to run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter on their PC. You can run the compatibility troubleshooter by going to Settings > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooter; or you’ll be able to launch the troubleshooter in case you are experiencing points with a particular program. Right-click on this system, choose Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and press the Run compatibility troubleshooter button.
However, plenty of customers are unable to make use of the compatibility troubleshooter as a result of it’s not working correctly. Also, a few of them preserve getting the next error message:
An error occurred whereas loading the troubleshooter:
An surprising error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can’t proceed.
The above error message is accompanied by totally different error codes. If you might be experiencing the identical downside, comply with this information and repair the difficulty at hand.
Program Compatibility Troubleshooter not working in Windows 11/10
Here are the options you need to use if Program Compatibility Troubleshooter is not working in your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Change the TEMP listing.
- Perform SFC and DISM scans.
- Turn off third-party antivirus software program/firewall.
- Restart Diagnostic Policy Service.
- Run Program Compatibility Troubleshooter in Safe Mode.
- Reset Windows 11/10.
1] Change the TEMP listing
You can attempt altering the environmental variables to repair the Compatability troubleshooter not working situation. As per a number of affected customers, altering the default TEMP listing to C:TEMP helped them resolve this downside. This repair is talked about on the official Microsoft Support web page. So, it’s also possible to attempt doing the identical and see if the difficulty is fastened or not.
First, open the Control Panel utilizing the Windows Search perform. In the Control Panel window, sort “environment” in the search field.
You will see an possibility referred to as Edit atmosphere variables on your account; merely click on on it.
In the opened Environment variables window, choose the TEMP area below the User variables part. After that, press the Edit button and a brand new dialog window will open up. Here, click on on the Variable worth area and alter its worth to the next deal with and press the OK button: C:Temp
Once performed, return to the Environment variables window and choose the TMP person variable. After that, press the Edit button and alter its Variable worth to C:Temp. Finally, press the OK button and shut the window.
You can now attempt working Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and test whether it is working superb now.
If this methodology doesn’t aid you repair the issue at hand, you’ll be able to transfer on to the following potential resolution to repair this situation.
2] Perform SFC and DISM scans
If your system information are corrupted or lacking, you would possibly face this situation. Hence, you’ll be able to attempt fixing the broken system information by working an SFC scan in your laptop. SFC (System File Checker) is a command-line utility software that allows you to restore or exchange contaminated and lacking system information. Follow the under steps to run an SFC scan:
- Firstly, run Command Prompt as an administrator from the Start menu search.
- Now, sort the under command and press the Enter button:
- Windows will now begin scanning for broken system information and repairing them.
- When performed, reboot your laptop and see if the Compatibility troubleshooter is working correctly now.
If an SFC scan doesn’t assist, you’ll be able to carry out a Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) scan. It is one other Windows command-line software that’s used to restore Windows System Image and Windows Component Store. It fixes system corruption and restores the nice well being of your PC. Here’s carry out a DISM scan:
- First, open Command Prompt with administrator privilege.
- Now, enter the under instructions one after the other:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once the instructions are executed efficiently, restart your laptop and run Program Compatibility Troubleshooter to test if it really works or not.
3] Turn off third-party antivirus software program/firewall
This situation is perhaps induced because of your overprotective third-party safety suite together with antivirus and firewall. Third-party antivirus and firewall software program may cause interrupts in the common working of Program Compatibility Troubleshooter. Thus, it received’t work as meant. Now, if this state of affairs is relevant, you’ll be able to disable your antivirus and firewall, after which test if the issue is resolved or not.
4] Restart Diagnostic Policy Service
The subsequent factor you are able to do to repair the issue at hand is to verify Diagnostic Policy Service is working in your PC. This service permits troubleshooting for Windows parts. It is enabled by default. But, it might need been disabled by mistake or because of a virus an infection. Or, the service is perhaps caught in a limbo state which is why it’s not working successfully. So, restart or allow Diagnostic Policy Service and see if the issue is fastened or not.
Here are the steps to do this:
- First, evoke the Run command field by urgent the Win+R hotkey after which enter “services.msc” in its Open area. It will launch the Services window.
- After that, scroll down and find the Diagnostic Policy Service.
- In case this service is already working, press the Restart choice to restart the service. Otherwise, if the service is not working at present, press the Start choice to allow it.
- Next, test if the service is configured to run on startup. If not, right-click on the service and select the Properties possibility from the context menu.
- Now, choose Automatic because the Startup sort and click on on the Apply > OK button.
- See if the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter is working correctly now or not.
5] Run Program Compatibility Troubleshooter in Safe Mode
The subsequent factor you are able to do is run Program Compatibility Troubleshooter in Safe mode. In Safe mode, the PC begins in a primary state with a restricted set of information and drivers. This would possibly aid you repair the issue at hand. Here’s how you are able to do that:
- Firstly, open your Settings app and go to the System > Recovery possibility.
- Now, click on on the Restart now button current subsequent to the Advanced startup possibility.
- Next, as soon as your PC restarts, select the Troubleshoot > Advanced choices > Startup Settings > Restart possibility.
- After that, from the record of choices, choose the 4th possibility (press F4) to allow protected mode.
- Once your PC is rebooted, attempt working the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and see whether it is working superb or not.
6] Reset Windows 11/10
The final resort to repair this situation is resetting your Windows PC. You is perhaps coping with system corruption that may’t be fastened by SFC or DISM scan. Hence, in that case, restoring the unique state of your PC would possibly aid you repair the issue at hand. So, reset your Windows 11 PC and whereas doing so, you’ll be able to preserve your information. You can use the under steps to do this:
- First, launch Settings, transfer to the System tab, and press the Recovery possibility.
- Now, click on on the Reset PC possibility after which choose the Keep my information possibility on the following immediate. Doing so will make it possible for all of your private knowledge is unbroken. Else, it’s also possible to choose the Remove all the things choice to delete all the things.
- Once the resetting course of is full and the system is restarted, attempt opening Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.
This publish provides further generic strategies on what you are able to do in case your Windows Troubleshooter is not working, does not begin, is caught or closes earlier than finishing its job
What do I do if Windows Update Troubleshooter is not working?
If your Windows Update troubleshooter is not working, you’ll be able to attempt restarting your PC after which ensure you are related to an energetic web connection. This situation may very well be induced because of corrupted system information, so run an SFC scan to repair it.
TIP: See this publish in the event you obtain An surprising error has occurred, The troubleshooting wizard can’t proceed message with error codes 0x803c010a, 0x80070005, 0x80070490, 0x8000ffff, and so forth.
How do I reset my Compatibility settings?
To reset compatibility settings for a program, right-click on its most important executable and choose the Properties possibility from the context menu. Afterward, go to the Compatibility tab and uncheck the Run this program in compatibility mode for possibility.