In this tutorial, we’ll present you how to restore the Classic Alt+Tab dialog in Windows 11/10. You will likely be in a position to use the XP Style Alt+Tab Switcher that was launched in Windows 95 and continued in Windows XP. This outdated Alt+Tab menu reveals solely app icons and has a compact dimension. While the fashionable Alt+Tab menu of Windows 11 seems fairly good and reveals the thumbnail preview of opened apps, the traditional Alt+Tab is very simple and fewer distractive, as you’ll be able to see in the picture beneath. So, if you would like to use it, then you’ll be able to verify the choices included in this publish.
How to restore the Classic Alt+Tab Dialog in Windows 11/10
There are three alternative ways to restore the Classic Alt+Tab dialog in Windows 11/10. These are:
- Using Windows Registry
- Using Ultimate Windows Tweaker 5
- Temporarily open the Classic Alt+Tab menu.
Let’s use these choices one after the other.
1] Using Windows Registry
If you need to completely allow the traditional Alt+Tab dialog in Windows 11, then you should use the Windows Registry trick. You can at all times get again to the fashionable Alt+Tab dialog anytime you need. Before this, take a Windows Registry backup in case you want it later. Now comply with the steps coated beneath:
- Open the Search field, kind regedit, and hit the Enter key to open Windows Registry (or Registry Editor)
- Jump to the Explorer key in the Registry Editor utilizing the following path:
- Create a brand new DWORD (32-bit) Value on the proper part of the Explorer key
- Rename the new worth to AltTabSettings
- Open the Edit field of AltTabSettings DWORD worth by double-clicking on it
- Place 1 in the Value information
- Press the OK button
- Restart File Explorer.
To restore the fashionable Alt+Tab menu, use the above steps, and delete the AltTabSettings worth that you simply created. Restart the File Explorer to add the change.
2] Using Ultimate Windows Tweaker 5
If you aren’t snug making adjustments to the Windows Registry manually, then you can even use our free Ultimate Windows Tweaker to restore the XP Style Alt+Tab Switcher in Windows 11. More than 200 tweaks can be found to use and traditional Alt+Tab is one such tweak. Here are the steps:
- Download the ZIP file of Ultimate Windows Tweaker 5 and extract it right into a folder
- Execute the EXE file to open the software interface
- Select the Customization class from the left part
- In Windows 11 tab on the proper half, choose Enable Classic Alt+Tab Menu choice
- Uncheck the different choices in that tab in any other case, these tweaks will even be utilized. You can use any tweak you want although
- Press the Apply Tweaks button.
This will routinely restart the File Explorer and you can begin utilizing the outdated Alt+Tab menu.
To disable the traditional Alt+Tab menu, you should use the above steps, uncheck the Enable Classic Alt+Tab Menu choice, and hit the Apply Tweaks button.
Related: How to take away Alt+Tab Blur Background in Windows 11
3] Temporarily open the Classic Alt+Tab menu
This is an attention-grabbing trick that I like the most. If you don’t want tweaking Registry settings, then you’ll be able to quickly open the traditional Alt+Tab menu with this feature. Here are the steps:
- Press and maintain the left Alt key
- Press the proper Alt key and launch it
- Tap on the Tab key and you will note the traditional Alt+Tab menu.
You can preserve tapping the Tab key (whereas holding the left Alt key) to change to the opened purposes.
Release the Alt key and Tab key and the chosen software will open. The traditional Alt+Tab menu will even be gone as it’s seen solely as soon as with this trick. You can comply with the above steps as many occasions as you need to quickly open the traditional Alt+Tab menu.
How do I get the outdated Alt-Tab again?
If you might be on a Windows 11 pc and need to get again the outdated Alt+Tab menu (XP Style Alt+Tab Switcher), often known as the traditional Alt+Tab dialog, then you are able to do it in 3 ways. These embody a Registry Editor technique, the Ultimate Windows Tweaker software, and a trick that reveals the outdated Alt+Tab dialog quickly. All these choices with a step-by-step information are included in this publish. Check them out.
How do I repair the Alt-Tab glitch?
If the Alt+Tab shortcut key will not be working in Windows 11/10, then restart File Explorer. It is likely to be a short lived glitch that will likely be resolved by doing so. If this doesn’t work, then activate the Enable Peek choice, and run the built-in Keyboard troubleshooter. Or else, re-install the Keyboard driver. For this, you’ll be able to broaden the Keyboards part in Device Manager, right-click on the keyboard driver, and use the Uninstall machine choice. Windows will routinely set up the keyboard driver after reboot.
Read subsequent: Alt+Tab not working for Games and Apps.