PowerShell is an open-source scripting language and is used as a Shell to manage the pc with instructions from a Command-Line Interface (CLI). This instrument is helpful to automate your duties and handle a wide range of Windows settings from the command line. However, when some customers tried opening the app, they encountered “Windows cannot find powershell.exe”. In this text, we’ll be taught concerning the troubleshooting and actual reason for this problem.
Windows cannot find ‘C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0powershell.exe’.
Make certain you’ve typed the identify appropriately, then attempt once more.
Fix Windows cannot find Powershell.exe
When you wish to begin PowerShell, you could typically get a Windows cannot find powershell.exe error message, in that case, be sure you kind “PowerShell” appropriately. If you might be nonetheless unable to open this app then it’s a chance that the PowerShell scripting language shouldn’t be put in in your pc. Follow the prescribed steps under to resolve this problem.
- Check whether or not Windows PowerShell is Enabled
- Use Run Command or File Explorer to launch Powershell
- Make PowerShell shortcut on Desktop
- Run System File Checker(SFC)
- Update Windows PowerShell
- Reset your PC
1] Check whether or not Windows PowerShell is Enabled
If you might be unable to run PowerShell utilizing the Search performance then that you must confirm whether or not this app is enabled in your pc or not. If you wish to confirm the identical and allow it, comply with the prescribed steps.
- Press the Windows key and kind Control Panel there and press Enter.
- Click the drop-down menu within the high proper nook of the display screen to pick Large icons.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Click on the Turn Windows options on or off possibility from the left pane.
- In the Windows Features display screen, confirm Windows PowerShell (it may be suffixed with 2.0 relying on the model) checkbox is checked or not.
- If it’s unchecked then checked that field and press the OK button.
Now, see if the Windows can’t find Powershell.exe problem is resolved or not.
2] Use Run Command or File Explorer to launch PowerShell
Sometimes, there could be some points whereas opening the PowerShell utilizing the Search menu, in such eventualities, you possibly can both run a command or use File Explorer. Click Win+R to open Run after which kind PowerShell, now press Ctrl+Shit+Enter to run PowerShell as admin, and lastly click on Enter to open it. If you wish to open it through File Explorer, then click on Win+E and kind PowerShell after which click on Enter. Hopefully, it will do the job, if it doesn’t transfer on to the following step.
3] Make PowerShell Shortcut on Desktop
You can’t open this app if Windows doesn’t know the proper file location for the PowerShell executable file. In this case, you possibly can confirm the precise location of the PowerShell executable file and make a desktop shortcut to your comfort. To find the situation, and create the shortcut comply with the steps talked about under:
- Right-click on anyplace on the desktop and choose the New possibility.
- Select the Shortcut possibility.
- Now click on on the Browse button, scroll down the checklist and broaden This PC.
- Click on C Drive > Windows folder > broaden SysWOW64.
- Expand the WindowsPowerShell folder and choose the powershell.exe file.
- Finally, click on on the OK > Next > Finish button to make the shortcut.
4] Run System File Checker(SFC)
It has been seen that broken or corrupted system recordsdata might create a difficulty and will forestall PowerShell from launching. However, there are built-in instruments comparable to SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (or Deployment Image Servicing and Management) within the Windows working system that may resolve this problem. Let’s resolve this problem utilizing the prescribed steps
- Press the Windows + S and kind Command Prompt.
- Right-click on Command Prompt when it seems after which choose Run as administrator.
- Click on the Yes button when prompted by UAC.
- Type SFC /scannow within the command immediate and press Enter.
- Now, the system file checker will begin scanning your system recordsdata, and if something is discovered, the instrument will resolve it.
Other than SFC, you too can go for DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management). This will routinely detect the problems with the system and repair them.
Read: What is Windows PowerShell? Features and advantages of upgrading.
5] Update Windows PowerShell
If not one of the above options give you the results you want then it might be attainable that the issue is with the PowerShell app itself. There could be a bug in PowerShell that’s inflicting your problem. In that case, that you must replace PowerShell in your Windows 11 system.
- Press Windows + X key to open the Power User menu.
- Select Terminal (Admin) from the checklist and click on on the Yes button
- Type the next command on the Command Prompt and press Enter.
Winget set up --id Microsoft.Powershell --source Winget
It will take a couple of seconds to obtain and set up the newest model of PowerShell.Hopefully, after updating PowerShell the stated error can be resolved.
Read: Terminal vs PowerShell vs Command Prompt distinction defined.
6] Reset your PC
In case, nothing labored, your final possibility is to reset your PC. Go forward and reset your PC and preserve all of your recordsdata by deciding on Keep my recordsdata. Hopefully, your problem can be resolved.
Similar errors: Windows cannot find: Outlook.exe | Explorer.exe | C:Program recordsdata | IntegratedOffice.exe | GPEDIT.MSC | WT.exe | REGEDIT.exe.