Is Command Prompt not working or opening in your Windows 11/10 PC? Here is an entire information on methods to repair the issue of CMD not launching or working correctly in your system.
Command Prompt or CMD is a distinguished command-line software in Windows that means that you can execute and carry out completely different instructions and duties. However, if you’re unable to open it or whether it is not working correctly, it may possibly forestall you from performing duties by means of CMD. It could be actually bothersome and annoying for the customers who often use Command Prompt. Many customers have reported being unable to launch Command Prompt or use it.
This situation could be induced attributable to completely different causes. You could be coping with some corrupted system recordsdata due to which you’ll’t open or use Command Prompt. It may also be induced attributable to a latest change in your PC. Some glitches or corruption together with your present person profile could be one more reason for the problem at hand.
Now, if you’re dealing with the identical downside, this submit is for you. In this information, we’re going to record down a number of fixes that can make it easier to resolve the problem. So, allow us to take a look at!
How do I open Command Prompt in Windows 11?
There are a number of methods to open Command Prompt in Windows 11. You can merely kind cmd in the taskbar search field after which open Command Prompt. Besides that, you may also open CMD from File Explorer, Task Manager, and a desktop shortcut.
Command Prompt not working or opening in Windows 11/10
Here are the fixes which you could strive if Command Prompt is not opening or working in your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Launch Command Prompt from File Explorer.
- Try opening Command Prompt from Task Manager.
- Edit PATH System Environment Variable for CMD to open.
- Run SFC scan utilizing PowerShell.
- Disable your third-party antivirus.
- Open Command Prompt in Safe Mode.
- Make a brand new person account.
- Perform a system restore.
Let us talk about the above fixes in element now!
1] Launch Command Prompt from File Explorer/
If you might be unable to open Command Prompt from Start Menu, strive launching CMD from File Explorer. You would possibly be capable to launch CMD from File Explorer as reported by some affected customers. Here are the steps to open CMD from File Explorer:
- Firstly, open File Explorer utilizing Windows + E hotkey.
- Now, navigate to the next location:
- Next, contained in the System32 folder, scroll all the way down to the cmd software.
- After that, right-click on cmd and press the Run as administrator choice to launch Command Prompt with admin privilege.
See if you’ll be able to open Command Prompt from File Explorer. Alternatively, you may also create a shortcut to the Command Prompt software in your desktop and see if that works for you.
In case Command Prompt nonetheless doesn’t open for you, strive the subsequent potential repair to resolve the problem.
Related: Can’t run Command Prompt as an administrator.
2] Try opening Command Prompt from Task Manager
You also can strive launching Command Prompt from Task Manager and verify if it really works for you. It is a workaround if you’re unable to open CMD from Start Menu. Here are the steps to try this:
- Firstly, begin Task Manager utilizing Ctrl + Shift + Esc hotkey.
- Now, go to the File menu and click on on the Run new process possibility.
- Next, in the Open bar, kind cmd or cmd.exe.
- After that, allow the Create this process with administrative privileges checkbox current beneath the Open area.
- Finally, press Enter to launch Command Prompt and see if it really works fantastic or not.
3] Edit PATH System Environment Variable for CMD to open
The subsequent factor you are able to do to repair the problem is to edit the system surroundings variable to allow CMD to open. Here is how you are able to do that:
- Firstly, open the taskbar search and sort environ in the search field.
- From the outcomes, click on on Edit the system surroundings variables to launch the System Properties window.
- Now, in the Advanced tab, choose the Environment Variables button.
- Next, select the PATH variable after which faucet on the Edit button.
- After that, click on on the New button to create a brand new entry.
- Then, enter C:WindowsSysWow64 and press OK.
- Finally, reboot your PC after which see if you’ll be able to launch and use CMD correctly or not.
If the issue persists, strive the subsequent potential repair to resolve the problem.
4] Run SFC scan utilizing PowerShell
There are probabilities that you’re unable to make use of Command Prompt attributable to corrupted or damaged system recordsdata. So, if the situation is relevant, you need to be capable to repair the problem by performing an SFC scan.
SFC or System File Checker is a command-based software that comes with Windows. This built-in software mainly scans and repairs corrupted system recordsdata. However, as you might be unable to open Command Prompt, you’ll have to use Powershell to run the SFC scan. Here is methods to run an SFC scan utilizing Powershell on Windows PC:
- Firstly, launch Powershell with administrator privilege.
- Next, write the next command in an elevated Powershell:
- Now, merely hit the Enter button to run the above SFC scan command. It would possibly take about 15-20 minutes for the scan to repair corrupted system recordsdata, so let the command end efficiently.
- Once achieved, restart your PC after which launch Command Prompt. Hopefully, it is going to open and work usually now.
In case you continue to get the identical situation, strive the subsequent potential repair to resolve it.
5] Disable your third-party antivirus
If you might be utilizing a third-party antivirus, strive disabling it for a while after which see if you’ll be able to launch Command Prompt or not. Third-party antiviruses are identified to interrupt the traditional working of your purposes. Hence, it’s endorsed to show off your antivirus after which see if the problem is resolved. In case CMD nonetheless doesn’t open or work, strive the subsequent potential repair to resolve the problem.
6] Open Command Prompt in Safe Mode
You also can strive booting your Windows PC in protected mode after which launch Command Prompt. It is a workaround and would possibly give you the results you want.
7] Make a brand new person account
The downside could be induced if there may be some situation together with your User Account or your person profile is corrupted. Hence, if the situation is relevant, you possibly can strive creating a brand new person account after which verify if the issue is fastened or not.
Here are the steps to create a brand new person account on Windows 11/10:
- Firstly, open Settings utilizing Win+I after which go to the Accounts tab.
- Now, click on on the Family & different customers possibility.
- Next, press the Add account button and on the subsequent immediate, enter the e-mail tackle for the brand new account.
- After that, press the Next button after which full the prompted directions and data to create a brand new person account.
- Finally, log off of your present account after which signal in with the newly created account.
Try opening Command Prompt in your new person account and see if the issue is fastened or not.
8] Perform a system restore
If not one of the above options labored for you, strive performing a system restore. There could be some latest modifications attributable to which CMD is not working correctly in your PC. In that case, System Restore lets you roll again your PC to a degree the place your system wasn’t affected by corruption and the Command Prompt was working fantastic. So, carry out a system restore utilizing the beneath steps:
- Firstly, open the desktop search field and enter Create a Restore Point in the field.
- Now, click on on the Create a Restore Point possibility from the outcomes to open the System Restore window.
- Next, press the System Restore button after which select a system restore level to which you need to roll again your PC.
- After that, observe the onscreen directions to finish the method.
- Finally, reboot your PC after which strive launching Command Prompt.
Hopefully, CMD will begin working fantastic now.
Why is Command Prompt not opening?
The situation of Command Prompt not opening or working correctly generally is a results of corrupted system recordsdata in your PC. If there are broken or damaged system recordsdata in your PC, it may possibly forestall CMD from opening or working usually. Hence, to repair the problem, you possibly can strive performing an SFC scan utilizing Windows Powershell. It will restore the corrupted system recordsdata and allow Command Prompt to open correctly.
What to do if Command Prompt is not opening in Windows 10?
If Command Prompt is not opening in your Windows PC, you possibly can strive alternative routes to launch CMD. You can strive launching Command Prompt from File Explorer or Task Manager. If that doesn’t work, you possibly can strive operating a System File Checker (SFC) scan to repair the corrupted system recordsdata and make CMD work. We have mentioned some extra fixes to resolve the problem which you could take a look at beneath in this submit.
Now learn: PowerShell has stopped working and can not open.